> My band's first album is out
Xinlo
 Posted: Jan 6 2017, 04:22 AM
Quote Post

The Guy in Charge of the Stuff

Group: Admin
Member No.: 2

Moon Lander Champion!

Hey there small collective of my tiny forum! After 9 months of work (longer if you count writing and learning the songs), my band Pareidolon has finally released its first album. It was made in our "free" time during the final days of music college, so it was rushed and not everythig was done as I'd intended but in most cases everything went super well. and the stuff that didn't just gives it character!

You can find the free download on our bandcamp page which also allows you to give a little money if you think it's worthwhile. This whole thing was done on volunteer work, so I don't feel bad giving it away for free at all. I just hope people enjoy my creation.

--------------------
user posted image
PM
^
fishers64
 Posted: Jan 6 2017, 03:26 PM
Quote Post

Platinum Member

Group: Platinum Members
Member No.: 13

I have no money. I have lame opinions though. http://files.b1.jcink.com/html/emoticons/tongue.gif

Favorite: Behind the Glass

Abducted! has very cool vocals in a very nice style. Modern Romance starts off with very cool guitar stuff going on...but then falls out of it. I wished that it went for the whole thing. It's probably a reflection on my backwards thinking, but I expected the male vocalist to sing Modern Romance, but the girl picked it up and did a great job. Modern Romance indeed.

Overall, I liked LT's lyrics. Very creative. This album through felt more like a set of demo tracks to show to an AR rep to showcase each band member's individual talent, rather than an easy-listening album. If you were looking for an independent release I'd be looking for more lyrical emphasis and less long instrumental openers. There was definitely a lot of wandering around instrumentally, almost as if you didn't know exactly what you wanted each song to sound like.

The other thing that really struck me is there is a LOT of piano and keyboard on this one that really didn't strike me as rock or metal style. In Tunnel & Leave it worked okay at first but dragged for too long. The guitar seemed to be missing in a lot of places where it was needed and when it did show up it was to do a solo. All six of you all need to play most of the time IMO. If you want to do rock/metal the drums & guitar need to step up.

The male vocalist seemed to leave entirely after Abducted! which was kinda bad. I'm not a genderist on vocals, but if you're going to have two vocalists I think both should get screen time. Plus they are both really good, so yeah.

I think you guys have a lot of talent going for ya, and obviously this is spanking for an album thrown together by college students in a rush. Some good talent here, and it's fine as a demo, but I'd be looking for improvements on the next album.
PM
^
Xinlo
 Posted: Jan 7 2017, 02:53 AM
Quote Post

Moon Lander Champion!

thanks for listening and giving feedback! I appreciate it. just a few things - what cool guitar stuff at the beginning of modern romance? the guitars aren't doing anything exciting in that whole song. it's kinda a synth-focused thing. Also it wasn't meant to be an easy listening album, showcasing band members' solo abilities and using conflicting musical ideas are just sort of how progressive rock is done usually. totally fair if that's not your thing, though. I personally felt there wasn't enough instrumental rambling and some songs felt more straightforward than I'd hoped. As for guitars not being present enough, with the exception if Abducted! and Behind The Glass, they weren't supposed to be. They were more often meant to supply rhythm and atmosphere - I listen to many rock bands that don't even use guitars, relying on keys and bass mostly.

the only thing I can 100% disagree with though is the male vocals being absent; not sure why you thought that as both vocalists got almost exactly the same amount of "screen time" - two songs each, and one split between them. I did have brittany supply sparse backing vocals but she is technically the "main" vocalist so I thought she should be present.

--------------------
user posted image
PM
^
Onua
 Posted: Jan 9 2017, 01:36 PM
Quote Post

The Admin-Work Rainbow

Member No.: 7

Snake Champion!

All in all, great prog rock. Have to agree that Behind the Glass was my favorite, with probably Tunnel being number 2.

I had a bit of an issue with that instrumental track in there, largely for subjective reasons, but still ...

Anyhow, if the album had been bigger, I would've been all "You go for it!", but given the smaller size of the album it just seems awkward to me. That said, it was a great track, but I'm picky for some reason about instrumentals. Rather, it's not you, it's me.

And, in conclusion, my greatest complaint is that I'm impatient to hear more. I hope you keep doing stuff, because I'm quite happy to be a fan of your band.

On the subject of vocals though, I kind of prefer your male vocalist. I mean, yet again, this is completely opinion on my part, but for as good as your female vocalist is, your male vocalist just seems to fit the style better IMO...

--------------------
QUOTE (Takal @ 12-8/16, 3:58 P.M.)
That's the thing about opinions, Onua.  Everyone else keeps having stupid ones.

QUOTE (Onua)
Excuse me while I vomit in a bucket.

QUOTE (Takal @ 12-13/16)
[X]enophobia's not just a hobby, it's a way of life.
PM
^
Xinlo
 Posted: Jan 9 2017, 04:57 PM
Quote Post

Moon Lander Champion!

thanks for the feedback Onua! Glad you enjoyed it. I knew a lot of people weren't gonna dig the instrumental track, and maybe it is a little out of place, but I was really proud of the composition (since i'm not a very good piano player) and my friend played it so beautifully I had to include it. I also liked it as a bit of a calm break between the two longer, more intricate songs. Vocals are always tricky because everyone is picky about the kinds of singers they like, but I'm happy with how they interpreted my songs.

As for more, I've already started writing the second album which I hope will be more focused and a lot longer, and maybe even feature songwriting contributions from other band members if they're willing.

--------------------
user posted image
PM
^
Onua
 Posted: Jan 16 2017, 01:03 PM
Quote Post

The Admin-Work Rainbow

Snake Champion!

Planning of releasing it to CD this time? 'Cause I really want it on CD ...

LOL, that was almost my greatest disappointment about the album http://files.b1.jcink.com/html/emoticons/tongue.gif

And I actually do quite like the instrumental track; I'm a pianist myself and your guy certainly has talent. I was just struggling with placement.

And, is there any way I might be able to hire the guy who did your artwork? As I mentioned I'm working on a musical project but suck at art and really need someone who can do that sort of thing ...

--------------------

QUOTE (Onua)

QUOTE (Takal @ 12-13/16)
PM
^
Xinlo
 Posted: Jan 16 2017, 04:59 PM
Quote Post

Moon Lander Champion!

This album will be on CD actually, they shipped out today. just waiting for them to arrive...

(also pianist was a girl)

as for the art guy, I'm not sure. he doesn't have any professional website to link you to, and he did this art as a favour to my drummer. it also took since may to finish it because he's so busy... if he did do it he'd probably charge a decent amount of money and you'd have to contact him through facebook

--------------------
user posted image
PM
^
Xinlo
 Posted: Jan 22 2017, 01:03 AM
Quote Post

Moon Lander Champion!

The CDs are now for sale from the link in the first post!

--------------------
user posted image
PM
^
Onua
 Posted: Jan 23 2017, 09:53 AM
Quote Post

The Admin-Work Rainbow

Snake Champion!

Yay! I'll buy one as soon as I get money again. Can you sign mine? http://files.b1.jcink.com/html/emoticons/tongue.gif LOL

And thanks for the info on the art guy; knowing now that he did so on a favour, and given the fact that I don't have much money at the moment, I'll be looking elsewhere, but thanks for letter me know. And I've mis-gendered your pianist. Pardon me.

--------------------

QUOTE (Onua)

QUOTE (Takal @ 12-13/16)
PM
^
1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

Topic Options Reply to this topicStart new topicStart Poll

duoTEK skinned by Nephos of the ZBSZ. Converted to Jcink by Meraceire