Reply to this topicStart new topicStart Poll

> Careers/Areas of Expertise/School Majors, Stuff that you know about
fishers64
 Posted: May 24 2015, 10:41 PM
Quote Post

Platinum Member

Group: Platinum Members
Member No.: 13

So I was browsing Introductions, and I was thinking that we could have a topic to discuss areas of interest or knowledge. For example I see that we have at least one paleontology nerd and one astrophysicist.

I've spent the past couple of years in college studying web design and development, everything from coding to graphic design to the business side with marketing and SEO. I also spend time researching creative writing and psychology.

So what do you study or know a lot about?
PM
^
Xinlo
 Posted: May 24 2015, 10:54 PM
Quote Post

The Guy in Charge of the Stuff

Group: Admin
Member No.: 2

Moon Lander Champion!

I just graduated music college, myself. I went as a bassist/production engineer, so that was pretty awesome. My goal is to work in the music industry as a producer, hopefully get my own studio running. But I also write music and hope to have a band of my own, but be making enough money doing my studio work that I don't need to worry about my band doing well. I'm going back to the college for a third year to also complete the composition courses in the fall because why not. Then I'll have some experience in writing film scores as well, which just opens up another job opportunity.

Aside from music I also dabble in some graphic design and hand-made art such as pencil drawing, painting, pottery and stone carving, but nothing I'd consider making a career out of.

--------------------
user posted image
PM
^
Serein
 Posted: May 24 2015, 11:03 PM
Quote Post

dirty catgirl

Group: Admin
Member No.: 3

I am mildly interested in pursuing graphic design but honestly I have no areas of expertise and I have no idea what I'm going to do for a career

--------------------
[ signature is a work-in-progress ]
PMUsers Website
^
Cow Jazz
 Posted: May 24 2015, 11:42 PM
Quote Post

Platinum Member

Member No.: 20

Well, obviously, there's dinosaurs, but more generally I also know a lot about biology, and in fact when I go to college, the plan is to study biology before I reach the point at which I can dive into palaeontology.

--------------------
user posted image
PM
^
Dorek
 Posted: May 25 2015, 02:53 PM
Quote Post

Group: Members
Member No.: 19

Graduated last year with a Major in Criminal Justice. Currently working at a work release for convicted people re-entering society.
PM
^
Kitania
 Posted: May 25 2015, 05:11 PM
Quote Post

The Best Princess

Member No.: 26

I'm in a weird spot with college and university. I've been to two so far, UWGB and UCD, UCD I actually made it through the first semester, but with my mental health situation amongst other situations and some home problems, I had to step out and well, basically drop out until I got better/until the home situation got better. Mostly since I knew I wouldn't be able to pay attention to the work or tests as much as I'd need to and I don't want to mess up my undergrad.

But, I'm planning to go back to school soon -- with the job I got, actually -- and use the benefits for the free online courses at ASU. So in the end it'd have been like... I went to... three colleges, for random times. (Well I guess I was technically an ACC student too, but that was through high school).

I plan to get an English degree and teach. Right now I"m not sure if I want to just teach at a high school level, or actually go for the PHD and teach in colleges/universities. Either way it'd be a fun thing to do for me, and with everything going so much better now than then, I can definitely handle it all. (Well, and I have plenty of friends I can ask questions to or get clarification from or to proofread papers and all that -- even though I kinda aced my Junior level course at UCD with flying colors <.< )
PM
^
Steph
 Posted: May 25 2015, 06:45 PM
Quote Post

something you think describes me

Member No.: 30

Ive had degrees in English and Fine Arts/Theatre for hella years because im old. I work as an editor for a big japanese firm. It's cash.

If anyone ever needs their resume edited professionally for free, ask me to do it and if i like you i will. Just ask tTH member RKO Mom how my boss resume for him got him a killer management gig.

--------------------
I wasn't born so much as I fell out
PMUsers Website
^
RKO Mom
 Posted: May 26 2015, 12:08 AM
Quote Post

Advanced Member

Member No.: 24

Bachelor's in history with a minor in attic greek. Basically I wasted my college education, but if you want to know something related to either of those I might be able to help. I also have something like 8+ years experience in the service industry. If you ever wanted some extremely opinionated views on wrestling I have those in spades.
PM
^
Brickeens
 Posted: May 26 2015, 07:39 AM
Quote Post

Member No.: 21

I don't know if I really have an area of expertise, but I have an interest in photography, and have been learning image manipulation (in the context of photography) techniques for most of the last year.

I wish there was more I could say for myself, but I've missed almost my entire second-level education thanks to really bad health problems, and because of them, third-level isn't an option either.
PM
^
skeletons
 Posted: May 26 2015, 10:02 PM
Quote Post

Member No.: 32

graduating in December w/ an AA in psychology. no idea what i want to do, but i've switched majors like three times, so i had to settle.

i guess i could do research, but ultimately i've got no real desire to do anything other than get a stable job that can cover the life i want to live.

--------------------
PM
^
Dorek
 Posted: May 30 2015, 11:43 AM
Quote Post

Member No.: 19

QUOTE (113 @ May 26 2015, 10:02 PM)

i guess i could do research, but ultimately i've got no real desire to do anything other than get a stable job that can cover the life i want to live.

Ugh sooooooooooo much this. People always say get a job you like to do, but when it stops being fun, not only are you stuck in a miserable job but you've killed one of your own interests. Just get a job you can tolerate and work out the rest.
PM
^
Stollercon
 Posted: Jun 1 2015, 01:25 AM
Quote Post

Member No.: 33

I'll be graduating soon with a degree in political science. I also majored in international affairs.

--------------------
"This truly is The Toa's Hideout 4."

"All will be well."
PMEmail Poster
^
ZippyWharrgarbl
 Posted: Jul 1 2015, 09:05 AM
Quote Post

Platinum Memer

Member No.: 41

I'm doing a biology-oriented degree. So far, I'm hoping to get into genetics. Genetics as a field of research is a really big area these days, what with GM foods probably being the only way to feed our rapidly growing population in the future and the aspect of genetics in many diseases, not to mention all the cool GM stuff that they're working on.

I cannot express how good biology is as a subject. It's such a huge and interesting field to work in, and there's so much you can do! You want to go outside and get out on the field? Ecology. You want to help create vaccines? Immunology. Think animals are gross and smelly, but want to work on something you can see without a microscope? Botany. It's all so fun and cool.

I know a bunch about Bionicle, too. I like to think about the science behind it occasionally. I also really enjoy the story. So I guess that'd be an area of expertise for me too?
PM
^
1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

Topic Options Reply to this topicStart new topicStart Poll

duoTEK skinned by Nephos of the ZBSZ. Converted to Jcink by Meraceire