Reply to this topicStart new topicStart Poll

> IFH/Kelly Clarkson best of & notes
fishers64
 Posted: Dec 12 2016, 06:58 PM
Quote Post

Platinum Member

Group: Platinum Members
Member No.: 13

I figure that this falls into the nobody cares category, so I'm parking it down here. If an adminly overlord cares to disagree, I shall not complain & allow it to be moved.

Icon for Hire

Scripted
Theatre
Make A Move
Iodine

(and the rest of the album is awesome too, could be a best-of list on its own)

Icon for Hire
Cynics & Critics
Watch Me
Rock & Roll Thugs

(And it's not worth listening to the rest of the album, because it sucks. http://files.b1.jcink.com/html/emoticons/tongue.gif Nerves & Sorry About Your Parents are okay in moderation.)

You Can't Kill Us
Too Loud
Supposed to Be
Here We Are

(This album is a mixed thing with lots of ups & downs. I really like War, Happy Hurts, and Under the Knife as well, but all have ehs that keep them off the best-of. Album closers Invincible & You Can't Kill Us are supposed to provide a powerful end to a grim-subject album, and while Invincible is okay, You Can't Kill Us falls off in a mostly piano tune when what you really want is big musical build up. It's kinda a letdown.)

--------------------------------------------

Kelly Clarkson

Thankful
You Thought Wrong
Miss Independent

Breakaway
Behind These Hazel Eyes
Because of You
Breakaway

(I actually like those ones better than "Since U Been Gone", which is on that album. The album is so bloody famous that every song was released as a single, though if you ever get a chance to listen to "Hear Me" - the one that wasn't - do so.

Also Kelly hates the song Breakaway. )

My December
Irvine
Never Again
One Minute

(underrated album that's actually pretty awesome.)

All I Ever Wanted
Whyyouwannabringmedown
Long Shot
Cry

(This album is very weird. While the famous singles are okay, they feel disconnected from the album core which is very good. Then there's a couple of stupid tracks near the end which drag it down, leaving the good stuff overlooked in the middle.)

Stronger
Stronger
Honestly
Alone

(And that pretty much sums it up.)

Greatest Hits Chapter 1
Catch my Breath
People Like Us

Piece by Piece
Piece by Piece
War Paint (uh-uh-uh! Uh-uh-uh! http://files.b1.jcink.com/html/emoticons/tongue.gif)
Bad Reputation

(And most of the rest of that album is crummy. Eh.)

And there you have it. For anyone who cares.
PM
^
Onua
 Posted: Dec 12 2016, 09:03 PM
Quote Post

The Admin-Work Rainbow

Member No.: 7

Snake Champion!

Actually surprised at how good Since U Been Gone was, mostly because of the electric guitar and stuff. Alas, the electronic-y stuff which had become infused with most popular music kept me from liking Catch my Breath and People Like Us as much.

That said, I'm interested to know why you like Kelly Clarkson. Is it just a nostalgia thing, or a lyrics thing, or do you just like the music?

Also, Cynics and Critics is the one Icon For Hire song that I've heard, and while I thumbed it down on Pandora because it showed up on my Kamelot station, it was a legit good song.

--------------------
QUOTE (Takal @ 12-8/16, 3:58 P.M.)
That's the thing about opinions, Onua.  Everyone else keeps having stupid ones.

QUOTE (Onua)
Excuse me while I vomit in a bucket.

QUOTE (Takal @ 12-13/16)
[X]enophobia's not just a hobby, it's a way of life.
PM
^
fishers64
 Posted: Dec 13 2016, 12:56 AM
Quote Post

Platinum Member

To the first, my bad. You should probably stick with Breakaway for the Kelly stuff, as it's more rock. I'm one of those stupid people who actually likes electronic production and polish, and tend to forget that there are people who hate it.

As for Kelly, it's both. I listened to Breakaway, etc growing up - it was everywhere, it was the evil music that parents hated, and so on - but as I've grown older I've found that her messages have really resonated with me. Not that I agree with everything she says about romance - she has mistakes in her worldview, to be sure - but the overall picture of someone trying to learn about that world from...nothing. Her dad left her at an early age, not much to go on. So it's a story about a struggle to get where she wants to go in life, and Piece by Piece seems to be a victorious ending to that particular struggle.

And if you're telling a story about that, I can relate to it in some form. Many songwriters in pop music seem to talk about pursuing junk. The object of Kelly's pursuit was good, even if it was about romance, and even if she took some speed bumps to get there. And that's what I like about Kelly Clarkson.

---------------------------------------------

For the most part, if all you like is straight-up hard rock and metal, you're not going to like these songs or artists probably. They toe the border between pop and rock & mix them together. Kelly Clarkson has a lot of straight-up pop going on in her later work and even tried EDM in Piece by Piece (my opinion is that it didn't really work out). Fortunately she says she's working on a country album next (I know, but at least we won't be going back to EDM again *glares*). She's busy raising a family now, though, so I don't expect much new music from her in the future.
PM
^
Onua
 Posted: Dec 13 2016, 10:56 AM
Quote Post

The Admin-Work Rainbow

Snake Champion!

QUOTE (fishers64 @ Dec 13 2016, 12:56 AM)
To the first, my bad. You should probably stick with Breakaway for the Kelly stuff, as it's more rock. I'm one of those stupid people who actually likes electronic production and polish, and tend to forget that there are people who hate it.

To be certain, I don't hate that style of music. I mean, one of my favorite albums ever is Owl City's All Things Bright and Beautiful, which is about as electronic-y as you can get. Mostly it's that I just hear so much of it everywhere that when I listen to it I'm like, 'I COULD like you a lot -- no really, I could, but I just want a break'. Much like Twenty-One Pilots, in a couple of years, when the style is not so popular, I'll enjoy it a lot better.

The only thing I actually dislike about electronic music is that (totally in my opinion), it's a lazy kind of music. I just mentioned above that I really like Owl City. Now, I quite like his music, but I still think it's lazy. Pleasureable to listen to, yes, but I always just felt they weren't putting a lot into it.

Not to say that they don't of course, but it's much easier to see the work someone has put into their music when it's a one hour song like Green Carnation's Light of Day, Day of Darkness, or when they've got a crazy solo like with Dream Theater's guitar solos or Rhapsody of Fire's synth solos, than when they've sat down, written lyrics, and messed with a computer. In the end, probably just my rude opinion, but it is my opinion none the less.

As for Kelly, it's both. I listened to Breakaway, etc growing up - it was everywhere, it was the evil music that parents hated, and so on - but as I've grown older I've found that her messages have really resonated with me. Not that I agree with everything she says about romance - she has mistakes in her worldview, to be sure - but the overall picture of someone trying to learn about that world from...nothing. Her dad left her at an early age, not much to go on. So it's a story about a struggle to get where she wants to go in life, and Piece by Piece seems to be a victorious ending to that particular struggle.

Cool.

For the most part, if all you like is straight-up hard rock and metal, you're not going to like these songs or artists probably. They toe the border between pop and rock & mix them together.

Actually no; I listen to a load of stuff. My only thing is a like to get the feeling that the bands I'm listening to have talent or put a lot of thought and energy into what they produce. Really, though, if it's not currently popular I'll probably listen to anything, hence why I can really like "Since U Been Gone", and not "Heartbeat Song". I mean, even stuff that was exceedingly popular 10-15 years ago is stuff I really like listening to now.

But I (as usual) digress.

--------------------

QUOTE (Onua)

QUOTE (Takal @ 12-13/16)
PM
^
fishers64
 Posted: Dec 13 2016, 02:50 PM
Quote Post

Platinum Member

QUOTE (Onua @ Dec 13 2016, 07:56 AM)
Much like Twenty-One Pilots, in a couple of years, when the style is not so popular, I'll enjoy it a lot better.

Yeah, I get this. When I was in my late teens, everything that was popular didn't feel right. Rap was automatically bad because it was popular, and all the "cool kids" (who were actually mean) listened to it. Therefore, "I don't like rap because I don't want to be viewed as shallow as them, because I am a unique individual and not part of the mindless conformist crowd."

Not sure that it is the exact same way for you, but this is going to wear off big time as you get older. Once you get out of high school, the mindless conformist crowd that you feel you have to fight not to be a part of (or just dislike) dissolves entirely.

Put simply, college & work culture tends to emphasize individuality these days and not mock individual taste differences the way high school does. In fact they almost go too far the other direction with the "follow your passion" b.s. trip.

The only thing I actually dislike about electronic music is that (totally in my opinion), it's a lazy kind of music.  I just mentioned above that I really like Owl City.  Now, I quite like his music, but I still think it's lazy.  Pleasureable to listen to, yes, but I always just felt they weren't putting a lot into it.

Not to say that they don't of course, but it's much easier to see the work someone has put into their music when it's a one hour song like Green Carnation's Light of Day, Day of Darkness, or when they've got a crazy solo like with Dream Theater's guitar solos or Rhapsody of Fire's synth solos, than when they've sat down, written lyrics, and messed with a computer.  In the end, probably just my rude opinion, but it is my opinion none the less.

Actually no; I listen to a load of stuff.  My only thing is a like to get the feeling that the bands I'm listening to have talent or put a lot of thought and energy into what they produce.

As I have mentioned previously, this is where my brain and yours tend to diverge; my brain will listen to anything that remotely sounds good and does not consider thought and effort at all.

Part of why I think this is the case is that I've actually sat down to write lyrics and compose music myself, and from my vantage point it's really hard. I struggled in percussion classes for years. Now granted, my brain may just not be designed for that sort of thing, or maybe I was taught in a way that didn't work, but if you manage to get something together and bring it out for me to listen, that entails a certain amount of respect going on.

I've actually tried to do electronic production myself too - I gotta admit I'm still baffled by how it works. Now maybe if I was a professional musician a lot of that would go away and I would start thinking "man, that's really lazy" but I gotta admit it would probably be the opposite way.

And since I'm here: I think the reason I tend not to pay attention to the vocal quality as much is that you can't change the voice you were born with much. My speaking voice has a load of vocal variety but my singing voice can get low - not much changing that lol I just have a big throat.

This is not to say that your tastes are invalid; I'm just explaining the likely reasons why mine are the way they are so maybe you can understand where I'm coming from better. Better song recommendations that way. http://files.b1.jcink.com/html/emoticons/smile.gif

The issue that really does bug me is whether the rest of the song backs up the vocalist's expression. Kelly's got this singing voice that conveys power - it always does that - it's the main event. That's why Piece by Piece sucks - EDM is a powerful presence in and of itself, which takes away from her voice's force. It needs guitars to back it up. And she's not singing about power anymore much on Piece by Piece either, and then you've lost the album. Contrast that with Adele - her voice is sad, and they stuck with it, rather than changing the music away from it.

Anywho, that's enough lame rambling. I much enjoy this subject.
PM
^
Onua
 Posted: Dec 13 2016, 04:25 PM
Quote Post

The Admin-Work Rainbow

Snake Champion!

Yeah, I get this. When I was in my late teens, everything that was popular didn't feel right. Rap was automatically bad because it was popular, and all the "cool kids" (who were actually mean) listened to it. Therefore, "I don't like rap because I don't want to be viewed as shallow as them, because I am a unique individual and not part of the mindless conformist crowd."

Not sure that it is the exact same way for you, but this is going to wear off big time as you get older.

Sort of, though it's more of an intuitive thing. Although, that said, while non-conforming is a part of my schtick, I've only really noticed that recently. Rather, I don't dislike something that's popular directly because I'm like, 'This is popular. Me no like'. It's more like, 'This is popular, and everyone likes it. Because the masses have historically shown themselves to be idiots, and I like this other stuff, I'm going to be obscure because [I'm better than them]'. Now, I do actually have the former thoughts at this point, but most of my life I was like, 'Oh, it's popular? Okay ...' *never listens to music*. It's become more pronounced of a personality trait in me recently.

So, arrogance as well.

As I have mentioned previously, this is where my brain and yours tend to diverge; my brain will listen to anything that remotely sounds good and does not consider thought and effort at all.

Part of why I think this is the case is that I've actually sat down to write lyrics and compose music myself, and from my vantage point it's really hard. I struggled in percussion classes for years. Now granted, my brain may just not be designed for that sort of thing, or maybe I was taught in a way that didn't work, but if you manage to get something together and bring it out for me to listen, that entails a certain amount of respect going on.

I've actually tried to do electronic production myself too - I gotta admit I'm still baffled by how it works. Now maybe if I was a professional musician a lot of that would go away and I would start thinking "man, that's really lazy" but I gotta admit it would probably be the opposite way.

And since I'm here: I think the reason I tend not to pay attention to the vocal quality as much is that you can't change the voice you were born with much. My speaking voice has a load of vocal variety but my singing voice can get low - not much changing that lol I just have a big throat.

This is not to say that your tastes are invalid; I'm just explaining the likely reasons why mine are the way they are so maybe you can understand where I'm coming from better. Better song recommendations that way.

I got you.

TBH, I'm both a writer, and an extremely musical person (it's not just me saying this, BTW; most people I've discussed with agree that I have a musical ear), and lyrics is insanely easy for me to do. Actually, I should probably post some of my poetry on here too, but that's besides the point. So, from my vantage point, lyrics aren't hard to do. And, while I admit it isn't a sack of laughs to learn electronic production (or my poison of choice, GarageBand), it's a heck of a lot easier than learning to play guitar like Van Halen, or piano like Billy Joel.

I say that so you can get where I'm coming from; I totally get what you're saying, and am not disagreeing.

And, about your point about what a professional musician would think; while I'm not a paid musician, between ten+ years of piano and a crash-course through Garageband, that does resonate. That being said, it's not exactly comparing apples to apples. Saying 'you can mess with a computer and make cool sounds', while it sounds lamer than 'my fingers can move impossibly fast across guitar strings', is totally different.

--------------------

QUOTE (Onua)

QUOTE (Takal @ 12-13/16)
PM
^
fishers64
 Posted: Dec 13 2016, 08:20 PM
Quote Post

Platinum Member

QUOTE (Onua @ Dec 13 2016, 01:25 PM)
It's more like, 'This is popular, and everyone likes it.  Because the masses have historically shown themselves to be idiots, and I like this other stuff, I'm going to be obscure because [I'm better than them]'.  Now, I do actually have the former thoughts at this point, but most of my life I was like, 'Oh, it's popular?  Okay ...' *never listens to music*.  It's become more pronounced of a personality trait in me recently.

So, arrogance as well.

Hmm. We're approaching soapbox territory here, but uh...

1) No human beings are fundamentally "better" than others. Our brains have different allocations into different things, but we all are equal in that all of us have A PURPOSE, and none of any one of our purposes is greater than any other one of ours. Put simply, we all have to exist, and we all have the same value in existing.

You're better than the masses? Those masses are made up of REAL PEOPLE. And here's the thing: there are generally two responses in the face of popularity: pretend to like something because it's popular (in order to fit in) OR pretend NOT to like something because it's popular and you're an arrogant nonconfromist who would not stoop so low as to like...but you do!

It's hilarious when the latter happens. It happened to me - it was bonesiii, I'll admit. He was unpopular, liking him was a very very bad idea, but shoot me.

Why would you deny yourself candy?

But if you legitimately DON'T like it and it's popular, okay. I get that. I hate Justin Bieber too - except for the legit Cap Kings remix of What Do You Mean where they bowdlerized it...okay whatever. But you know why? Because I listened to his music and decided I didn't like it.

Popularity is independent of truth. It's also independent of your preference.

The best way to describe this I know: when I listen to Adele, I'm out on an island in the middle of the ocean. It's just me and Adele. There's nobody else there. I listen to her sing, and I get to make my decision. Do I like this song or not?

Because any other way, you're letting other people dictate your preferences. You are letting other people cut you off from what you may actually enjoy. And that's no way to live. Life is miserable enough without cutting yourself off from whatever candy and donuts available. Everyone eats donuts, right? Does that mean you don't eat them?

Also, even if they try to hide it (and they do) EVERYONE has eccentric preferences. They just don't want to admit to them and own them.

2) Also of note (sorry, I forgot about this earlier) is that this might not have to do with popularity at all as much as a time factor. When I listen to an album for the first time, I know there's going to be highlights & ehs. If I trusted my first listen of Haven, the only songs I would have liked were Under Grey Skies & Veil of Elysium. Eventually, Insomnia, Liar Liar, and all of the rest of them "grew in" on me. Tastes take time to acquire. Mostly it's because my brain needs time to process the new style in order to appreciate it. If my brain doesn't get it, it won't like it.

Same thing happened with tobyMac; his first three albums were in a style I needed to process and Eye On It legitimately sucked. I've listened to Eye On It several times, it just wasn't happening man. The album truly is a Dr. James Dobson rap. I do come up negative sometimes. Awake was the same deal. But I stuck around until This is Not a Test came out and was blown away. Probably not what is going on, but I thought I'd throw that out there just in case.

TBH, I'm both a writer, and an extremely musical person (it's not just me saying this, BTW; most people I've discussed with agree that I have a musical ear), and lyrics is insanely easy for me to do.  Actually, I should probably post some of my poetry on here too, but that's besides the point.  So, from my vantage point, lyrics aren't hard to do.  And, while I admit it isn't a sack of laughs to learn electronic production (or my poison of choice, GarageBand), it's a heck of a lot easier than learning to play guitar like Van Halen, or piano like Billy Joel.

I say that so you can get where I'm coming from; I totally get what you're saying, and am not disagreeing.

And, about your point about what a professional musician would think; while I'm not a paid musician, between ten+ years of piano and a crash-course through Garageband, that does resonate.  That being said, it's not exactly comparing apples to apples.  Saying 'you can mess with a computer and make cool sounds', while it sounds lamer than 'my fingers can move impossibly fast across guitar strings', is totally different.

Well yeah, I can write poetry easily as well. Where I get into trouble is setting said poetry to a proper tune. I often feel that all of my poetry has the same beat to it. I have an ear for rhythm, you understand, even if I'm tone deaf. I'm a percussionist. Then of course is the matter of making sure my song is not too short or too long.

Then of course is the matter of making sure my background work (whether on the mallet instrument or in production) matches my voice and doesn't clash horribly. Because even if I eventually hire that out, I'll have to be able to tell if it's right or not.

This is not an excuse list; I do plan on making my own music albums someday and actually have three albums written out in Notepad docs, some vocals recorded, and stuff I've thought of for melodies. It's just a notation of considerations, and an acknowledgement that for me, just finishing the job will be a lot of work, let alone going beyond that to the spectacular.
PM
^
0 User(s) are reading this topic (0 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

Topic Options Reply to this topicStart new topicStart Poll

duoTEK skinned by Nephos of the ZBSZ. Converted to Jcink by Meraceire