Latest Shouts In The Shoutbox -- View The Shoutbox · Rules -  

> Affiliates [ View All | Link-us ]
Mask of Destiny 

Pages: (2) 1 2  ( Go to first unread post ) Reply to this topicStart new topicStart Poll

> Favourite videogames
Takal
 Posted: May 24 2015, 08:13 AM
Quote Post

Space Conquistador

Group: Admin
Member No.: 5

Pacman Champion!

"Yeah, Takal, create this topic in an appropriate subforum that doesn't exist." - Scythey, somewhat paraphrased.

Pretty self-explanatory. Post favourite videogames, computer games, CD-i games or even tabletop games.

Personally, I tend to lean towards RPGs, stuff like the Fallout series (including 1 and 2, discounting Tactics and BoS), the Souls series (Demons' Souls, Dark Souls I and II and as soon as I am able, Bloodborne), Wasteland 2 (a retro-styled game which may well be the best RPG at being an RPG I've ever played. Tons of ways to tackle every scenario.) and Skyrim (I've thought about going back through that series but it strikes me that what I like most about that game is the opportunity for hijinks and the earlier games are more limited in that).

Also the sort-of RPG Monster Hunter, in which you basically compete in protracted battles between the several linked arenas that make up a zone with ridiculously huge weapons to an awesome soundtrack. I've compared it to a clunky Dark Souls game making no attempt at either plot or hiding its JRPG roots. Love it 'cause the progression you make isn't measured in levels or stats but your own knowledge of your enemy or weapon and how best to combine the two for a spectacular half-hour battle. Monster Hunter Freedom Unite, widely regarded as the best game in the series prior to the newest release and the one in which I've clocked the most hours, has an easy (if slow) start to ease players in and ends with hectic boss battles that would, by most games' standards, just be entirely unfair but the gradual difficulty progression between the two is handled in such a way that if you reached this point, you're more than capable of handling them.

I'm also a big fan of Bungie's stuff that isn't Destiny (don't get me wrong, Destiny had great potential and wonderful gameplay but it falls short in every other category) and have played the Halo games, naturally (great for playing with groups of friends but I was always a little skeptical of the online crowd. The primary story isn't particularly deep but for what it is it hits all the right notes. The terminals/datapads/audiologs show that Bungie can do really great writing when they're not being constrained by the risk of breaking up the action), Marathon: Durandal (Like Doom or Wolfenstein but sci-fi and sooo much better) and Oni.

I think I should single out Oni like I did with Monster Hunter 'cause it deserves a lot more attention than it got. It's a year 2000 PS2/PC release anime-styled, cyberpunk third person shooter visually and thematically very similar to Ghost in the Shell with both developed shooting and unarmed combat mechanics, especially for its time. The dev humour in the background in most Bungie games (Save Destiny... what a waste...) occasionally reaches the foreground in this and while it's no Portal in this regard it still got a few laughs from me. It's definitely worth a shot if you can find a copy - the one I have looks almost unused but was a dirt-cheap £2.

I could go on but I think I hear snoring from somewhere up the back of this auditorium.

Anyway, what kinds of games do you like? Or kinds you don't? So long as you give valid reasons and don't just bash what you don't enjoy it's always just as interesting to see where people's dislikes stem from too.

--------------------
Mark my words, one day I will have a sig.
PM
^
Serein
 Posted: May 24 2015, 01:20 PM
Quote Post

dirty catgirl

Member No.: 3

Hatoful Boyfriend. best video game of all time.

in addition to that, I also really dig Mirror's Edge, the Half-Life series, Hotline Miami, Dungeon Defenders, Audiosurf, and lately I've been playing a lot of the free online game Warframe.

I was also really into Team Fortress 2 for a few years, but I stopped playing that about six months ago. it just stopped being fun.

--------------------
[ signature is a work-in-progress ]
PMUsers Website
^
Malchior
 Posted: May 24 2015, 06:05 PM
Quote Post

Opheliac

Group: Platinum Members
Member No.: 22

I've got a handy list of my favourite games, although I haven't updated it in a few months.

Stealth is my favourite genre, but the kind of games I like ranges a lot. Generally, I like well written and unique games which I can get immersed into.

I did link my list, but to give a short version, my favourites include American McGee's Alice, Deus Ex series, Prince of Persia series, Papers Please, Thief series, Fallout: New Vegas, Hitman series, etc.

--------------------
PM
^
farmstink buttlass
 Posted: May 24 2015, 06:29 PM
Quote Post

Advanced Member

Group: Members
Member No.: 16

Can't say I really do video games too much. I guess I like Pokemon, Pokemon is pretty cool. I've also played like...999, that was pretty rad. Playthroughs of visual novels in general can be fun. Danganronpa comes to mind. Hardly counts for this though.

I started playing Persona 3 FES almost one year ago now and...stopped playing almost immediately afterwards when I got a job and stopped having time. Haven't even started it up again since. Kind of a shame, I was really enjoying it. Maybe some day I'll start that up again and get like. Really into jrpgs? Maybe.
PM
^
AZBlue
 Posted: May 25 2015, 04:09 AM
Quote Post

Member No.: 25

My favorite games are most of Nintendo's in house games, The Fallout Series, Minecraft, Monster Hunter 3 Ultimate 3ds, Elder Scrolls series, Battle for Middle Earth, Kings Quest series, The good Star wars games, Same with Star Trek (the few that there are).

Assassins Creed is great too, mostly because of the history in the games.

--------------------
I'm the author of the Bionicle Legacies
A Gen 1 alternate future fanfic.
PM
^
Steph
 Posted: May 25 2015, 08:24 PM
Quote Post

something you think describes me

Member No.: 30

video games are STUPID. anyway check out my avatar of jill valentine from resident evil

--------------------
I wasn't born so much as I fell out
PMUsers Website
^
Silent Shills
 Posted: May 25 2015, 10:20 PM
Quote Post

Agent of FUNPOST

Member No.: 10

Asteroids Champion!
Breakout Champion!

First off, can I say I'm saddened by the cancellation of Silent Hills? It had a lot of potential and hell a Kojima headed horror game would be awesome. Thanks Konami for getting rid of my reason to get a PS4. Bloodborne looked good but I need more than one good game to buy a new system.

On topic I guess, STALKER is good if pretty unstable (and the one I got is the most stable of the series) the glitches sorta help with the survival aspect. Feels more realistic than other RPGs because like I real life I would die just from walking up to someone with a gun.

Dark Souls is also good though I really want to get my hands on Demon's Souls because of lore and gameplay.

METAL GEAR RISING REVENGENCE IS ALSO GOOD. HOW GOOD? SO GOOD THAT TALKING ABOUT THIS GAME REQUIRES ME TO TYPE IN ALL CAPS.

My favorite game is Spec Ops: The Line. Great narrative lackluster gameplay but definitely something worth checking out. Sadly because of the major halfway twist a lot of that shock is just gone. Luckily the final spoiler is pretty much forgotten because of the first major plot twist.

I could go on for more but I think this sums up my general vidya tastes.
PMUsers Website
^
RKO Mom
 Posted: May 25 2015, 11:58 PM
Quote Post

Advanced Member

Member No.: 24

AW SNAP SHUCKY DUCKY QUACK QUACK TIME FOR A FAVE FIVE GAMES OF ALL TIME LIST

1. Chrono Trigger
2. Metal Gear Solid 3: Substenance
3. Super Mario 64
4. Resident Evil 4
5. NieR
PM
^
Dorek
 Posted: May 26 2015, 12:20 AM
Quote Post

Member No.: 19

Kingdom Hearts series or the inFamous series.

Also Persona.
PM
^
Xinlo
 Posted: May 26 2015, 12:24 AM
Quote Post

The Guy in Charge of the Stuff

Member No.: 2

Moon Lander Champion!

Mass Effect trilogy, Assassin's Creed, Star Trek Online, harvest moon. That's about all I play.

--------------------
user posted image
PM
^
Serein
 Posted: May 26 2015, 12:31 AM
Quote Post

dirty catgirl

Member No.: 3

QUOTE (Xinlo @ May 26 2015, 12:24 AM)
harvest moon

hug yeah harvest moon

--------------------
[ signature is a work-in-progress ]
PMUsers Website
^
Steph
 Posted: May 26 2015, 12:39 AM
Quote Post

Steph's list of top ten favorite video games, which are STUPID, but not quite as stupid as all other video games, because all video games are stupid:
  • Tetris
  • Space Invaders
  • Pitfall
  • Super Mario Bros 2
  • Streets of Rage
  • NBA Jam
  • Age of Empires II
  • Resident Evil (GameCube version)
  • Resident Evil 3: Nemesis
  • Resident Evil 4

--------------------
PMUsers Website
^
RKO Mom
 Posted: May 26 2015, 12:43 AM
Quote Post

Advanced Member

Member No.: 24

Hell Yeah AoEII was the hugging crap. I need to see if they have it on steam.

Also I am curious as to why you chose SMB2 over SMB3? Not many people care for 2.
PM
^
Steph
 Posted: May 26 2015, 12:49 AM
Quote Post

QUOTE (RKO Mom @ May 26 2015, 12:43 AM)
Hell Yeah AoEII was the hugging crap.  I need to see if they have it on steam.

They do! That's how I'm playing it these days. Even though I have TWO separately-purchased physical copies floating around somewhere that I procured over the years. You should get the Steam version and we should play. Even though it is, of course, a video game and therefore stupid.

QUOTE (RKO Mom @ May 26 2015, 12:43 AM)
Also I am curious as to why you chose SMB2 over SMB3?  Not many people care for 2.

Disclaimer: both are STUPID

But yeah, 3 is probably the better game, but 2 is my favorite because it was the only one I owned for most of my life (I had the GBA port as a teen; now I've got the "original" on my 3DS), so I have the most cherished memories playing it. And I always really liked the Birdo character, which seems ironic in retrospect.

IMO 1, 2, and 3 are all just about equal in terms of quality. They're all pretty spot-on. 3 is more expansive and prettier graphically but they all deliver about the same level of fun, and that's what's most critical.

Also, in 2 you get to play as Peach, which I always did.

--------------------
PMUsers Website
^
Takal
 Posted: May 26 2015, 10:22 AM
Quote Post

Space Conquistador

Member No.: 5

Pacman Champion!

QUOTE (Silent Shills @ May 26 2015, 03:20 AM)
I really want to get my hands on Demon's Souls because of lore and gameplay.

Demon's Souls is really great. Not quite as good as Dark Souls, a little rougher around the edges, possibly slightly harder and you'll almost certainly want a guide for soul tendency (I regret having done half of the game blind. I've locked off so much stuff for myself.) though everything else is more self-explanitory than Dark Souls.

AZBlue: Great to see another Monster Hunter fan!

RKO Mom: I used to love playing Super Mario 64 at my aunt's. That and goldeneye. The worlds seemed so huge and open.

Dorek: I'm playing Kingdom Hearts 2 as part of the 2.5 remix I got her for her birthday. My opinion's kinda' split on it. There's plenty of aspects of it I like, like the majority of the boss battles, the variation in enemy designs and the gummi missions, for example. But then there's always the endless grinding for something like levels or drive forms or summons, a couple of really cheap moves some of the bosses have (such as being beaten back and forth between Sitar-Guy and his water walls whether or not I recover) and the gummi EX missions requiring the sacrifice of the soul of an innocent child in order to get an S-rank.

Xin, did I not put Mass Effect on my list? So disappointed with myself.

Steph: ARCADE GAMES YEAH! And we used to have Age of Empires 2 installed on all the computers in my old school. Unfortunately I didn't quite grasp the concept of readying for war, so my peaceful, scenic monastery and township didn't stand a chance against my enemies and was steamrolled by a team of reinforcement cavalry marching through to the main battlefield. I survived with one villager who ran through several warzones and survived on a quest to find an ally or peaceful new lands to settle before she was finally killed by getting trapped in the corner of the map.

--------------------
Mark my words, one day I will have a sig.
PM
^
0 User(s) are reading this topic (0 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

Topic OptionsPages: (2) 1 2  Reply to this topicStart new topicStart Poll

duoTEK skinned by Nephos of the ZBSZ. Converted to Jcink by Meraceire